• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

melatonin nightly for sleep?

tenshu2k

Bluelighter
I've been taking melatonin nightly for around 3-4, nearly without stop. When not on it, I find it difficult to fall asleep, though for the most part I just tend to use it now out of habit.

Is this safe long term? I've tried other sleep aids, including rx, and haven't had great experience with them. I take about 6mg-9mg of melatonin nightly. I do get some dry mouth, and I'm slightly groggy in the morning.

Is my melatonin production permanently disrupted from long term use?

Any alternatives?

you can use melatonin for long term use as it is naturally produced in the human body unlike other sleep medications as far as ambien,tylenol pm,benadryl etc..so its safe ...if your melatonin production wasn't distrupted in the first place you wouldn't have to replace it,alot of it is sleep habits etc if i were you i would try to stay on a lower dose thats effective so your body still naturally produces melatonin without you having to rely on the supplement

I take about 6mg-9mg of melatonin nightly
This is quite a high dose.
Is there any particular reason you use this much?
Do you have a disorder related to endogenous melatonin under production?
Because 300µg ~20min before bed is fine for me.
I've been using this dose for almost 2 years with no negative effects.
Is this safe long term?
Well it's non-toxic if that's what you're asking.
Is my melatonin production permanently disrupted from long term use?
How old are you? Natural melatonin production tends to drop after age 20-25, and is at it's lowest around age 40+ I believe.

The dosages i found available here were 3mg and 10mg. I generally take two (3mg) to fall asleep, and if I don't within an hour or two I'll take another.

It seems like I've gradually had to increase my dosage through the years. I started out with 3mg. Perhaps is psychological.

tolerance to Melatonin actually does occur. People just starting it should take 1/4 of a 300mcg tablet (less than 0.1 mg). You body makes less than 0.1mg on its own.

The dosages i found available here were 3mg and 10mg. I generally take two (3mg) to fall asleep, and if I don't within an hour or two I'll take another.

It seems like I've gradually had to increase my dosage through the years. I started out with 3mg. Perhaps is psychological.

10mg pills for sleep?? DAY-UMN!!!!

As said, <1mg is a great starting dosage - from what I've read, it seems there's very little/no effect on falling asleep due to taking higher dosages, while it does seem there's increased "hangover" effects the next day.

Taking it over time is relatively safe, although keep in mind it is a hormone, so you're playing w/ body homeostasis issues, so to speak, by consumption.

((and the reason it is marketed so high is simply because of the oldest reason for anything: money. Higher potencies sell better, generally speaking, to "lay people" (in regards to the product they're buying). This happens even if a lower dose is somewhat/extremely more useful/preferable to the consumer, a good example is the generic 10% benzoyl-peroxide acne preparations - studies show that 5% preparations provide the same effect only with less irritation, however the stores can sell 10% far easier, and do))

stoked! been on seroquel for a couple years(for sleep). Im keen to kick the habit and im definitly going to try melatonin. although last time I used it didnt help. I really want to get off these expensive meds. so thanks for topic

Seroquel is the strongest sleep pill I've ever known. Melatonin is one of the weakest (that actually *has* an effect, many have none..). That may be quite a bit of a jump downwards, my guess is you won't find it very useful if you're used to a multi-year seroquel dosage for bedtime ;)
<< A swap to, say, temazepam, then to something like xanax/klonapin, then ambien, an ambien taper, then start melatonin, would probably be a bit more suitable >>

^I would very much not suggest he start using benzos daily just for sleep.
This is asking for trouble :\

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't very clear - if I were using something as "knock me out" as seroquel, and wanted off (or to melatonin), I'd "taper" to it real quick (with benzos), instead of trying to go straight to melatonin (which'd likely be the equivalent of nothing, were one used to seroquel).

Would NEVER suggest benzo (or opiate/amph) usage over the long term (as a regular, daily thing) unless the pro's absolutely outweighed, and one was fully informed of, the con's.

^I would very much not suggest he start using benzos daily just for sleep.
This is asking for trouble :\

Did my post read that way?? I re read it and it seems clear I advocated for a quick "taper", if you will, from seroquel to melatonin. I'm not seeing where there was anyu indication I suggested daily benzo usage, I merely suggested a taper.
<<plz don't think of this as a dig at you - yes, my username is new, but I'm well familiar w/the boards and your posts are almost universally useful ;)

I usually use one 3mg pill for sleeping and I abstain from taking more, because if I take more(4.5-6mg), I will get "hangover" and will feel tired in the middle of next day.

I heared reports of people who took melatonin for 1-2 years, and they were alright after stopping it. So I guess it is more or less safe.

I've been using it off and on for many years.

Had a bad benzo habit for a while and took a while to be able to fall asleep with reasonable expectations of actually doing so at all, after quitting the benzos.

It's been about 7 months since ditching benzos and now I'm not a total insomniac anymore, but 3mg nightly melatonin is a huge help. Makes the difference between falling asleep by midnight and waking up refreshed for work... or falling asleep at 3:00AM and waking up totally pissed off.

I agree this is a higher dose than most people should take. I have a bit of tolerance to the stuff. I don't know if it's a bad thing, but 3mg seems to be the optimal dose. I do feel tired in the morning for a bit after waking up, but at least I can fall asleep.

Perhaps is psychological.

I think that could have something to do with it. Also what time are you usually going to sleep? The body naturally produces chemicals for sleep once it starts to get dark or after a certain time. Eat a large meal right before you go to bed, turkey or milk or something.

It's much easier for the body to fall asleep after it's just eaten since your brain gets a chance to relax. When were hungry our brain amps up the body so it'll be able to hunt (natural predatory behavior), I dk if you've ever noticed after eating a large meal the body tends to get a little tired.

I recently got back on, and I don't know if it's because of it but I have been sleeping shorter since taking it again. In a good way that is.

Ever since I'm on mirtazapine I tend to sleep longer then the 7,5-9 hours I usually sleep (9 would be winter, 7,5 summer) It has gotten to the point that I wake up after sleeping 8 hours, still tired and keep sleeping for another two. Not good.

Since three days, my nights have been 7,5-8 hours (perfect) and I feel more rested. Sleep latency is reduced too. I take my dose, read for 20 minutes, and get so tired I wanna sleep and basically pass out, like a narcotic without the side effects :D ..

I have been taking melatonin on and off since I was 8 years old. It was prescribed to me when I was a little kid (it's RX here) now I just order em online from Britain or let my dad import some from the states. I have Spring Valley brand now which I like better then the Natrol because the tabs are small and convenient for buccal administration.

melatonin is only effective for circadian rhythm problems. I like to take melatonin before sleep and sun in the morning, in absence of sun I use a energy light.

@mirrorlake 3 mg is what I take. Seems like a good dose to me, I have been on 6, 5 and 3 mg and they all seem the same to me. Less might also work, but who cares?

From most sources, melatonin is downregulated by supplementation. pg. 185(ish?)
http://books.google.com/books?id=m_...#v=onepage&q=melatonin downregulation&f=false

It does not appear to be permanently downregulated.
http://www.t0.or.at/scl/scl6/msg08722.html

Alternatives on the herbal side are limited to things largely proven wrong as far as I know. I know people who take diphenhydramine nightly without blatant problems aside from subjective difficulty on nights when it is unavailable. Diphenhydramine works on the acetylcholine receptors whereas melatonin's pharmacology is questionable, although that first source says that flumenezil counteracts melatonin, implying it may be mildly GABAergic.

happy sleeping ;)

How is melatonin's pharmacology questionable? (thought it was a pretty str8-forward hormone?)
And yeah, much of the 'herbal solutions' are garbage unfortunately